The IRS requires all tax exempt nonprofit organizations to file a 990 form annually. If a 501c3 organization fails to file a 990 form in 3 years, they will lose their tax exempt status.
There are different forms to file depending on your organization:
- Form 990N: An electronic filing for gross receipts below $50,000
- Form 990EZ: The form for organizations with gross receipts less than $250,000 or total assets less than $500,000
- Form 990: The form for organizations with gross receipts more than $250,000 or total assets more than $500,000
- Form 990PF: A private foundation filing
- Form 990T: The form for filing Unrelated Business Income
- Form 990W: The form for Estimated Tax on Unrelated Business Income
Read more about 990 Forms in the Resources Section.