National Geographic Society is working to increase global understanding of our planet and create a community of change by advancing key insights about the world and probing some of the most pressing scientific questions of our time. As part of supporting a planet in balance, National Geographic offers Exploration grants that concentrate on certain key issues.
This Grant Heartbeat is focused on one type of Natinoal Geographic grant opportunity: Request for Proposals.
Applicants may propose projects focused in conservation, education, research, storytelling, or technology.
The grant size is dependent on your proposal, from thousands to tens of thousands or more!
National Geographic Society–funded projects should be bold, innovative, and transformative. The want all proposed projects must be novel and exploratory and align to our mission and focus areas. Eligibility requirements include understanding the:
- Age Restrictions – must be 18 years of age
- No Active grant from National Geographic Society
- Written in English
- Have local project collaborators
- Project’s deadline is at least 6 months after the application submission deadline
- Project does not take place in, nor is the applicant a citizen of any restricted countries including mainland China, North Korea, Cuba, Iran, Syria, Sudan and Crimea region
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Compliance – Applicants are responsible for securing all necessary permits and agreeing to the National Geographic Society’s ethics policies. Grant applications require compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the U.K. Bribery Act, and other anti-corruption laws, including those of countries you work with and laws that apply internationally. National Geographic expects our grantees to maintain the highest standards of ethical behavior, honesty, fairness, and transparency.
- Award Guidelines and Requirements – If awarded a grant, you’ll need to provide documents and materials upon request. The reporting requirements
Read more about the eligibility requirements
They have a great application process listed on their website.
In addition to knowing the eligibility requirements, they have a project focus quiz, different applications for projects, resume requirements, budget requirements and your team and references.